Monday, April 2, 2007

My Life

Jenna and I were about to leave Wal-Mart today, and I realized we forgot -- lost -- her stuffed Shamu. Somewhere in Wal-Mart ... with loads of children who could have claimed it as their own.

I told Jenna we had to find it. Walking back to our last stop down a beauty and health aisle, Jenna yells out, "Shamu!! Where are you??? Shamu is scared! We have to find Shamu! Shamu!!!! Where are you!?!?"

It immediately hit me: I am 36 years old. I am in a Wal-Mart at 10:30 a.m. on a Monday with a 3-year-old. And we are looking for Shamu. This is my morning. This is my life.

We found Shamu by the scarves. Jenna held him tight, scolding him for getting lost. I reminded her it was my fault (I was charged with holding him), but quickly reminded her that I saved the day and found him.

I am 36. Found Shamu. Daughter is happy.

Okay ... so what's worse?

A friend of mine and I were standing outside her house Friday afternoon, and following a conversation, we fell silent.

And stared at a sprinkler in her neighbor's yard.

She said, "Oh, what did you do at 2:30 p.m. on Friday in Columbus? Oh, we watched the sprinkler go back and forth in the yard."

My life.

I love my daughter, and my girlfriend.

Thank God for them.

No comments: