Friday, January 12, 2007

The Baby Talk

As I pushed Jenna on a swing late this afternoon, this discussion was not expected:

Jenna: Mom, why do babies come out of mommies tummies?
Me: Whu?
J: Why do babies come out of mommies tummies?
Me: Why?
J: Yeah, why?
Me: Why do babies come out of mommies tummies?
J: Yes
Me: because when they get too big, it would be uncomfortable.
J: Oh
Me: When the babies are in the mommies tummies, they grow their legs, arms, ears, nose, eyes ... and when they're done, they come out, and the mommies take care of them outside their tummies.
J: Oh. Then what do the babies do?
Me: They drink a lot of milk, cry and poo.
J: Where do they poo?
Me: In a diaper.
J: Why do they poo in a diaper?
Me: Because they can't go in the potty; they're not big like you.
J: Oh. Okay.

As I gave Russ an account of this conversation later at the dinner table, he said, "Well, thank goodness she didn't ask you how the babies get in to a mommy's tummy."

Jenna: Mommy, how do babies get into a mommy's tummy?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! And what did mommy say?

Raising Jenna said...

What did I say? I had Russ answer. He said, "God places the baby there." Good answer for now! :)