I met with a woman for lunch today and the topic of Russ living in Georgia came up.
She asked, "Why doesn't he live here?"
And I explained that he used to live here, but that I stayed for my job and for Jenna's schooling.
She asked, "Oh, is she a senior?"
"No, she's in kindergarten."
And then, like I often do, went into a lengthy explanation of why we stayed and ... well, this is the last time I'll feel the need to explain after today.
The woman proceeded to tell me that her 22-year-old daughter stayed rooted through school, living in the same place for 13 years. Today, she is crying in New York because she doesn't like the curtains in her dorm room. She's in NY for a 10-week interior design course. She cried because she didn't have anyone to eat with and because the Internet connection was down.
She said she felt her daughter reacted this way because she was NOT moved around a lot. Had she moved more, she thinks the daughter would have been more well-adjusted.
So, of course, I take this as, "If you keep your daughter in one place, she, too, will be unable to adjust to new situations." Or, she could have been thinking, "You're stupid to do this to your daughter. How dare you give her a little bit of stability."
And I felt like saying, "Don't cross a line that is not yours to cross."
Our daughter has moved three times in four years. By the time she was 4, had been to three different pre-schools -- in three different states. I'm not sure I'm the one who needs a talking to about making sure my daughter is well adjusted.
She doesn't cry over ugly curtains.
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Oh brother! Why does a family's choice for what is best for their situation always have to fall in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
You and Russ made the best decision for your family and there is no further explanation needed. I am sure Jenna will grow up to be a happy and well adjusted adult because she has great parents.
Thanks, Sheri. I can't believe I let people get to me like this. I told Russ last night that this was the absolute last time I would feel the need to answer anyone. I'll state the facts from now on and move on. Jenna will grow up to be well-adjusted because she's an awesome kid and knows how to adjust. She might not like to, but she does. Plus, yes, she has great parents ;)
Post a Comment