Living on a military base equates to instant friendships. That is how it was in Columbus, MS. From the first day, we had neighbors knocking on our door, and within hours, Jenna was outside playing with other children. Screams of laughter filled the air throughout the day; friendships formed fast, and even though they only are 4 years old, they were meaningful in their own right.
We moved into the suburbs Saturday.
We have not met one child. Have not had one person tap on our door. Couldn't tell you our neighbor's name. Stephanie and her tween daughter Kaitlyn live across the street. We just happened to be walking to our cars at the same time one morning. Haven't seen them since.
And Jenna is affected by this.
Every day she asks, "Let's go outside and play with my friends." And we have to tell her, "We don't have any yet, but will soon." She has had a hard time grasping that. She is a social girl. She's independent, but at the same time, needs those friends around. Like mother, like daughter.
On Sunday, Jenna wanted to go to "the show." All day she talked about this, and all day -- while unpacking box after box -- Russ and I told her "later." After dinner, around 7 p.m., she became very excited and started running around the house looking for her things ... Easter hat! CD walkman! A skirt! She was ready for the show.
So I thought we'd have it in the house. No. She walked to my car and got in the backseat. After much discussion, I realized we'd be going somewhere for this show. So Russ got in and we drove off.
He asked her, "Where's your show." And she answered, "Mommy knows."
Pressure!!
We drove to an empty parking lot where I knew there were a few deserted retail stores. We parked and walked to the front of the stores and told her she could start her show.
No. We had to wait for her friends, she said.
Oh, for the love of God. Is she serious??
She was. And after much back and forth banter, I caved in and told her I forgot to invite her friends. The look on her face was absolute devastation. I was responsible for the spirit that immediately drained out of her. After a million apologies from me, she started her show.
And sang from her CD player Wind it Up by Gwen Stefani (I know).
And we left with promises we'd invite her friends next time.
Good grief, I can not wait until school starts!
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
So sorry to hear that Jenna had a hard time last weekend. I hope that she's been able to find new friends since then.
Hugs to you both!
Emma said she'd love to see Jenna's next show!
Oh, the imaginations of children! She so wanted her friends from Columbus to be there that she actually thought that being at the "show" would have them materialize. Give her time - she'll make new friends (hopefully in your neighborhood) and she will continue to grow in her individuality. Love to you all, Faith
What is it with the 'burbs. We have had the same experience which is very surprising to me. We have neighbors WITH kids, yet we have not happened into one another yet. This is not what I expected. Sorry Jenna is going through this. Hopefully, school will help.
Post a Comment