My sister-in-law, Lisa, and I both signed up for the San Antonio Half Marathon last year. She finished. I was carried off (yes, carried -- into a van and later onto a wheelchair ... not my finest moment!) with a severe injury to my hip flexor, which led to two months of physical therapy and six weeks of not running.
This year, in preparation for the same race (I promised myself that same day I would be back the following year to actually FINISH the half mary), I challenged her to train 450 miles in the four months leading up to the 2007 SA Half Marathon.
Not only did she take me up on it, she devised a spreadsheet to keep tally of our miles. That's the teacher in her!
But seriously, did she think I was afraid of a challenge? I'm a mother of a 4-year-old for christsakes! I fight war daily at home. I can hold down 38 pounds of muscle in the tub when that child fights me to not wash her hair and body. I answer the monthly question, "Why is your bottom bleeding?" I endured 12 hours of driving with, "Are we in Florida yet?" coming from the backseat. I handle meltdowns, started because her best friend can't come over for dinner. Meltdowns, to the point she just passes out.
Why do you think I run?
To get away from all this!
Challenge accepted. With pleasure.
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Not a threat but definitely a challenge.
Don't forget, YOU'RE the one that set the criteria for this. :D
Since we've both got half marys under our belts (and the medals to prove it), this is gonna be a piece of cake ... for both of us.
Love you!
You two are cracking me up!!!
If this rain keeps up, I'll never be able to get back out on the road!
It's a given that you'll reach 450 before me, but I'm still gonna reach it before the end of October.
It's in my Life List: It doesn't matter WHEN you finish, it matters THAT you finish.
And I WILL finish! :D
Post a Comment