Sunday, September 9, 2007

Dropping off

Sometimes, on the rare occassion we're "on time" in the morning, Jenna and I are out of the house at 7:25-ish a.m. and to her school by 7:30-ish. As I do every morning, I walk her to the school cafeteria where the kids wait for the 7:50 a.m. bell. When we're "on time," none of her classmates have arrived to the cafeteria. So I thought, "What does she do as she just sits there and I leave?"

I asked her that tonight.

"Well, my gym teacher is there, and she is there, and we all wait for the K4 and K5 kids to line up, and then we line up, and then we're in line, and then the bell rings, and then it rings, and we go to our classrooms. That's what we do."

"But what do you do in the cafeteria after I drop you off and none of your friends are there yet? Are you lonely, or are you okay?"

"I'm okay. Well, tomorrow is going to be a hard day at school," she said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I'm going to miss you."

No comments: