Friday, June 8, 2007

At what cost???

Jenna and I, for the past two days, have been driving to Texas. When we take this trip, we always drive from Mississippi to Shreveport, stay the night, and then drive from Shreveport to San Antonio.

We left Shreveport early this morning because there were a couple of things I had to take care of in San Antonio in the afternoon. So, when 10 minutes into our drive Jenna announces she has to go to the bathroom ... "Mom, I really have to go." ... I will admit I was a bit annoyed.

We stopped at an all-in-one gas station/casino/Subway business and in front of the building was a pond. In the pond were pennies, nickles and dimes.

"Ooooooooo, I want to throw money in!!" Jenna said. I was irritated. I told her no. She said okay.

We proceeded into the building, followed the maze through the smokers, the restaurants and finally to the bathroom. On our way out, we headed to the car, where I took out 7 pennies (all the change I had) and gave them to Jenna.

We walked back over to the pond and she delightfully threw them in, her smile broadening and eyes lighting up more with each throw.

A few minutes later, while back on the highway, Jenna exclaimed, "That was fun!" And I thought ... the bathroom? The casino?

"What was fun?"

"Throwing the money in the pond!!"

7 cents.

And I almost passed on the moment. Lesson learned.

No comments: