Saturday, June 2, 2007

Gum

For 8 months now, Jenna has asked for gum. For 8 months, I've told her, "When you turn 4." The first time I told her this, it was during a trip home to Mississippi from San Antonio. It made sense, and for the moment, she quit asking.

But she never forgot.

Today, she turned 4, and asked for gum.

While opening up a pack, a friend of mine asked her, "Have you ever had gum before?"

Jenna answered: "No, I've never been 4 before."

******************************
An October 2006 posting
(thank you Lisa for reminding me of this!!!)

October 20

Gum and other privileges

For quite some time, I've explained to Jenna that she can not have gum or candy (or whatever the hot-item-of-the-month is for a 3-year-old) until she turns 4. It sounded good. Sounded logical. Made sense to me, and it got me out of dealing with crying spells and tantrums.

Until.

Jenna and I took a trip to San Antonio last week, and on the way home, she started telling me that she was 4.

"No, you're not, sweetie. You're 3."
"I'm 4, mommy, I am, I am 4."
"No, you're 3. Unless I missed a year of your life somewhere, I'm pretty certain you are 3."
"I'm 4, mommy!"
"Jenna!"

Seriously, this went on for a good 20-30 minutes.

And I conceded to bring peace into the car.

"I'm 4, mommy!"
"Yes, baby, you are 4."
"Can I have some gum?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this post!

Mom & I were just talking last night about the fact now that J's 4, MAYBE we should have sent a box with a variety of gums (bubble & otherwise) for her birthday.

Hey, there's always time when y'all are in town, right? ; )