Talking about Heaven in our house is not uncommon. With Jenna talking about her grandparents so much, she learned early on that my mom lives in Heaven with Jesus. The other grandparents, she says, live in Texas.
Today, while driving to San Antonio, Jenna asked (again) where my mom lived. This is a private conversation I wanted to share:
"Where does your mom live?"
"In Heaven, baby."
"Why did she die?"
"She got really sick, sweetheart, and there was no medicine to help her."
"Why did she get sick?"
"She had cancer. And it's a disease that sometimes takes over the body and medicine can't help."
"Doctors don't have medicine to help with cancer?"
"No, baby, but they're working on it."
"Why doesn't she just come back?"
Emotionally, I nearly lost it ... "Because when you die, your body doesn't come back."
"Why?"
"It just doesn't. But your spirit does."
"We killed a bird."
"I know, baby." (We accidentally killed one while driving in Mississippi).
"Did the bird have cancer?"
"No, sweetheart. We ran over the bird. It did not have cancer."
"How else do people die?"
"Cancer, car accidents, other illnesses, by bullets ..."
"Why doesn't grandma come back?"
"She just can't, sweetheart."
And that was it. It was about a 5-minute conversation loaded with thought, detail and truly insightful questions from a just-turned 4-year-old. I'll never forget it.
Friday, June 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Boy! haven't i had the same conversation with Nathaniel! It's so tough to explain such heavy topics with such young innocents as our children, i think you did a great job! Love you to bits & see you tomorrow!
Dezi
Sounds like some of the ones I've had with the kids about the miscarriage. Jenna is so thoughtful....
Post a Comment